For Prospective SAS Students
Your Path to College Starts Here.
Do you want to excel in high school, go to college and earn your college degree?
Do you see yourself succeeding in a career that you love?
Sponsor-A-Scholar students have an extraordinary record of success:
98% of SAS students go on to college immediately after high school.
Success in college and in life doesn't just happen. It takes vision, planning, commitment and a support team. Philadelphia Futures' Sponsor-A-Scholar (SAS) Program provides highly motivated Philadelphia high school students – just like you
– with the resources and opportunities
to make a successful journey to — and through — college. We begin working with students in 9th grade
and provide them with the tools and guidance needed to do well in high school, be admitted to college and earn their degrees. When you are an SAS student, Philadelphia Futures is with you every step of the way.
The SAS Program offers students:
- Individualized staff support through high school and college
- Year-round academic enrichment: after-school classes, SAT preparation and summer programs on college campuses
- The support of a mentor
- Personalized college counseling and guidance activities, including college visits
- Individual tutoring and use of an onsite computer lab
- Career awareness activities
- Extracurricular activities: Speech & Drama Club, Book Club, Stock Market Club, Performing Arts Writing Club, Robotics Club, Young Women Rising and National Parks Service Internship.
- Young Men's Initiative support
- $6,000 for college-related expenses
- Eligibility for scholarships to Philadelphia Futures' partner colleges
- White-Williams Scholars Incentive Awards
"Step Up to Your Future": Philadelphia Futures Sponsor-A-Scholar Student Video from Philadelphia Futures on Vimeo.
The benefits of the Sponsor-A-Scholar Program extend into college. Our College Success services continue to provide students with individualized academic and personal support, and help with preparing for graduate school and careers. When SAS students graduate from college, they are prepared to succeed in the workplace and in graduate school. Being a Sponsor-A-Scholar student gives you the foundation you will need for a rich and rewarding life.
Sponsor-A-Scholar is a highly selective program. You are eligible to apply to the SAS Program if you:
- Live and attend school in Philadelphia
- Be a first-generation-to-college student. This means neither biological parent graduated from an American college or university.
- Have good grades - potential Philadelphia Futures scholars should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Meet family income guidelines. This is determined by the number of people who live in your household. Families must submit proof of income.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Students who are non-U.S. citizens will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Ready to get started? We encourage 8th, 9th and 10th grade students to apply today!
1. Obtain the SAS application by doing one of the following:
- Downloading the SAS Application
- Calling the Philadelphia Futures office at 215.790.1666, ext. 425 to request an application by mail
2. Complete the application with a parent or guardian.
3. Submit the completed application by doing one of the following:
Crystal Crawford, Recruitment and Programs Specialist
230 South Broad Street, 7th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Faxing the form to Philadelphia Futures at 215.790.1888
4. Once the application is received, SAS will review the materials to determine the student’s eligibility. If eligible, students and their parent/guardian will be invited to the Philadelphia Futures office for an in-person interview.
To request an application by mail, or if you have questions, contact Crystal Crawford by email or telephone at 215-790-1666 x. 425.