Philadelphia Futures has released its 28th edition of Step Up to College: Philadelphia’s Guide to the College Preparation, Application, Admissions & Financial Aid Processes – a 68-page publication designed to shepherd high school students and their college support teams through each stage of the college admissions and financial aid processes.
Beginning in late September, Philadelphia Futures began the distribution of 42,000 print copies of Step Up to College to every public, public charter and parochial high school in Philadelphia, the Free Library of Philadelphia, government offices and community-based organizations. Step Up to College is available without cost to eliminate any barriers to access.
Features of the 2017-2018 Guide include:
- Robust, up-to-date resources and information on the college-going process.
- Reflections from recent high school graduates on what made their college choice the right "fit."
- Easy-to-follow, grade-specific checklists and hands-on activities.
- The free Step Up to College mobile app.
A complete PDF version of Step Up to College can be downloaded at www.stepuptocollege.org.
The Free Step Up to College Mobile App
Last year, Philadelphia Futures launched the Step Up to College mobile app that provides students, families and youth-serving professionals with enriched access to key components of the print edition of the Guide whenever and wherever needed.
Interactive features of the mobile app include:
- A "fit" form to help students qualitatively and quantitatively compare schools' academic, social and financial fit.
- The ability to record responses to questions asked on college visits.
- Tools to help brainstorm, write and proofread college essays.
- A college cost calculator that allows students to analyze and compare financial aid offers.
- The ability to track each step of the college admissions process.
Step Up to College Digital Media Resources
In addition to the mobile app, Step Up to College is accompanied by a suite of digital media resources – a video series, website, and Facebook and Twitter social media pages. With its content now available in a range of digital formats, Step Up to College has expanded its reach well beyond Philadelphia.
This year’s publication and distribution of the Guide is made possible through the support of 17 Pennsylvania colleges and universities and Army ROTC, which are featured in the publication.