College Connection serves students attending Philadelphia's public, public charter and parochial high schools beginning in 11th grade. This intensive program guides students who have a demonstrated academic foundation through the college application, admissions and financial aid processes and actively supports their progress through college completion.
College Connection students work closely with Philadelphia Futures to identify colleges and universities that best suit their academic, financial and social needs while supporting their admission to and success in these institutions.
Key components of the College Connection Program include:
- Personalized college guidance and individualized staff support through students' junior and senior years of high school and college
- Weekly college-readiness programming: Junior year includes college awareness activities, campus visits, skill-building courses and SAT prep. Senior year includes classes on the college admissions and financial aid processes and assistance with the transition to college.
- Intensive summer experiences before students' junior and senior years
- Educational resources, including individual tutoring and use of an onsite computer lab
- Gender-specific programming: Young Men's Initiative (YMI) and Young Women Rising (YWR)
- Extracurricular activities
- White-Williams Scholars Incentive Awards for high school juniors and seniors who meet high academic standards
- Support services during college with special focus on individualized academic and personal support and connecting academic credentials to careers
College Connection seeks students who demonstrate a strong academic foundation, consistent attendance and positive behavior in school. Students must be focused, hard-working, open to feedback and willing to commit to a structured college preparation, application and long-term support program.
An additional benefit to College Connection students is exposure to special opportunities offered by Philadelphia Futures' partner colleges. For students who qualify, these college partnerships provide expanded admissions and scholarship assistance at a range of colleges and universities. Our partner colleges include:
Arcadia University, Dickinson College, Drexel University, Franklin & Marshall College, Gettysburg College, Haverford College, Lafayette College, Lehigh University and Penn State University.
Philadelphia Futures' partner colleges provide critical financial and on-campus support for students who are admitted to their schools under the Philadelphia Futures' program.