Philadelphia Futures provides low-income, first-generation-to-college students with the tools, resources, and opportunities necessary for admission to and success in college. Our direct access programs, Sponsor-A-Scholar (SAS) and College Connection, provide academic enrichment, college guidance, and a range of other services for promising high school students attending Philadelphia’s public, charter, and parochial high schools.
We are looking for a Reading Specialist to help cultivate a love of reading and improve literacy amongst our Philadelphia Futures high school students. This specialist would revise and lead our Real Scholars Read (RSR) program in order to help improve the reading levels for a select group of students.
- Help PF expertly identify our high school students’ reading strengths and weaknesses
- Identify/establish assessment to measure reading proficiency for students (especially incoming freshman and juniors) and assess over summer.
- Identify and recruit 60 students, within the program, who will most benefit from literacy interventions
- Establish methods to improve students’ interest in, and comfort with, reading. —Revise RSR program to reflect these methods.
- Utilize and train volunteers to partner with students to work on improving their reading skills through the RSR program
- Facilitate the RSR program from October 2021 to June 2022
Timeline: July 2021 – June 2022, estimated 250 hours of work
For more information on Philadelphia Futures, visit our website: www.philadelphiafutures.org
Philadelphia Futures is deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness. Philadelphia Futures is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.