Philadelphia Futures provides low-income, first-generation-to-college students with the tools, resources, and opportunities necessary for admission to and success in college. Our direct access programs, Sponsor-A-Scholar (SAS) and College Connection, provide academic enrichment, college guidance, and a range of other services for promising high school students attending Philadelphia’s public, charter, and parochial high schools.
DREXEL FUTURES POSITION
The Writing Instructor will teach a class of 25 rising high school sophomores enrolled in a summer academic enrichment course through Philadelphia Futures. The subject matter is “History and Human Behavior” and is designed for students to build writing, speaking, and study skills that foster academic success and college-preparedness. These skills will be developed as students examine significant events in world history that deal with ethical conflict, discrimination, and resistance. Ultimately, students will engage in discussion, create a group PowerPoint presentation to share what they have learned, and complete a strong final research paper. Courses are held 4 hours a day, 5 days a week from approximately June 24th-Aug 2nd.
- Collaborating with Philadelphia Futures curriculum and academic specialists to develop, plan, and implement instruction designed to support preparation for college-level writing
- Reporting daily on student attendance, assignment completion, and progress
- Grading and evaluating student work, including but not limited to submitting mid-semester and final term reports
Qualifications for Instructional Positions:
- Three-five years relevant teaching experience (preferably teaching high school level)
- Demonstrated commitment to the education of Philadelphia public high school students and a clear understanding of related challenges
- A teaching style that is structured, positive, and engaging
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- FBI and Child Abuse Clearances if hired
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit: https://forms.gle/k4gLB1Jm4swm3Lx27
This is a seasonal part-time, contractor position. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
For more information on Philadelphia Futures, visit our website: www.philadelphiafutures.org
Philadelphia Futures is deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness. Philadelphia Futures is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.